Re: Katrina could inundate New Orleans

  • From: Chris Gilbert
  • Date: Mon Aug 29 00:40:35 2005

On Monday 29 August 2005 06:21, Dave Stewart wrote:
> Granted, it'll be interesting to see how things shake out - but I just
> can't buy that getting the Internet working should/will be a really high
> priority.

Well being as for most intents and purposes, internet access is dependant on
power and telco... I think it will certainly be secondary.

Even if the infrastructure is lit up and working, it isn't going to do
residents or local businesses one bit of good unless they can access it. (And
that requires power and a way to connect to it)

And in all honesty, I think the focus there will be on whatever helps the
locals the most, as opposed to getting someone's colo box back online.
(As well it should be IMHO)

However, what kind of impact could this have for people peering through this
region?

Anyone familiar enough with the network topology related to this region to
chime in on this?

I think it would be good for the operations community to have some heads up if
we should expect some routing issues elsewere as a result. It could save
people from trying to chase down false leads if/when things start to go awry.

And finally, if you are reading this from inside said area... get the hell out
of there!

--
Regards,
Chris Gilbert