Re: MPLS or Site2Site VPN

  • From: Suresh Ramasubramanian
  • Date: Sun Aug 28 21:50:44 2005

On 29/08/05, Todd Reed <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking at connecting 15+ multi-state locations together to start
> forming a private corporate network.  The sites are small with 25-30
> devices.  I want to avoid direct-T1's due to cost, therefore I'm looking for
> alternatives.  I know I can do site-to-site VPN, but I've also heard a lot
> about MPLS and from what I've read, it may be a good option.  Over the next
> year, we will be adding 5-10 more sites, so expansion is important.  I'm not
> planning to do voice, but it may be an option in 2-3 years.  If anyone has
> any suggestions on their experiences, I would greatly appreciate it.

Several large corporate connectivity providers in India have setup
managed MPLS VPN services, and these are quite popular .. in fact,
popular enough to eat into the incumbent telco's point to point leased
line revenues, so that they get their tame telecom bureaucrats to
setup a new category of "VPN providing ISPs" and prescribe an
arbitrarily high licensing fee and tax structure for them.

So, I'd say go for it ..

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian ([email protected])