Re: {f,i,k}.root-servers.net anycast instances deployed in India

  • From: Steve Gibbard
  • Date: Fri Aug 26 15:24:38 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, I wrote:

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

Now for comments in that admirable institution, the Indian press.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1211092.cms

Two things -

The move will help bring down the cost of accessing Internet in
India, where the clone root servers have been set up in Delhi, Mumbai
and Chennai. "Normally, other countries get to host only two such
services, but we fought hard and got three," said communications and
IT minister Dayanidhi Maran.
Maran seems to think this is as big an achievement as a kid throwing a
tantrum to get three chocolate bars instead of two, which it is not ..
Interesting how these myths pop up...

As of a few weeks ago there were 97 root server instances listed on www.root-servers.org, so this presumably brings it up to 100 unless there were more deployments that I've missed in the last few weeks.

Of those, the countries that each have two root servers are:
[list of 11 countries]
Sorry, looking at this again, I think I understand what the Minister was saying.

If we look at the Asia-Pacific region (for these purposes everything east of the UAE and West of the Americas), and then exclude Japan, Korea, and Singapore, countries that are undisputably part of the Internet core, what we've got are a bunch of F and I Roots, with a K Root in Brisbane and now a K Root somewhere in India. Having root servers that are part of three different anycast clouds would make India somewhat special within its region.

-Steve