Re: Semi-on-topic: Light that travels faster than the speed of light?

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Fri Aug 26 10:46:29 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 01:31:36PM -0600, Steve Meuse wrote:
>    On 8/21/05, Peter Dambier <[1][email protected]> wrote:
>      I have had a look into one of my microwave books. I have seen in
>      coax cables the speed of lite drop to 90% or 80% depending on the
>      insulator, the dielectric.
>
>    I believe this is referred to as "velocity factor".

Not the speed of light; the speed at which the electromagnetic
wavefront travels through *that* conductor.  Yep; this is velocity
factor.  It can go down surprisingly far.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me