Re: A useful oversimplification for network surveillance?

  • From: Howard C. Berkowitz
  • Date: Thu Aug 25 11:50:13 2005

At 3:30 PM +0000 8/25/05, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:
Howard,

I'd most certainly use an IDS (i.e. SNORT) for this instead of
netflow....
My concern is scalability, remembering I'm talking about the surveillance level. My preliminary sense is that SNORT is great in a sinkhole, but isn't as scalable as a reasonable NetFlow export.

- ferg

-- "Howard C. Berkowitz" <[email protected]> wrote:

      NetFlow is the key to analyzing traffic patterns outside the router,
      looking for DDoS signatures when known, and for traffic anomalies that
      may become DDoS.