Re: ISP's In Uproar Over Verizon-MCI Merger

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Thu Aug 25 00:28:34 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Daniel Golding wrote:

I suggest you take another look at these numbers. Those countries with
overall population densities lower than the US's all have something in
common - they are really cold. Iceland, Canada, Finland, Norway, Sweden.
Folks in those countries are densely packed into relatively small regions of
their overall land area (near oceans or in cities). Sure, some folks live
out in Nunavut, but a relatively small number. Contrast that with the US
where the population is far more spread out.

This is an issue of both distribution and density, not just density.

So you're saying the US is screwed because of unique geography? Or is that something poltical will can overcome?

Not that this necessarily means anything, but I thought your
sentiments above could do with some numbers. I don't see a strong
correlation between broadband penetration and population density here.

Joe

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       [email protected]