Re: ISP's In Uproar Over Verizon-MCI Merger

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Wed Aug 24 20:39:59 2005

On 24-Aug-2005, at 19:16, Lewis Butler wrote:

And what does every country ahead of the US have in common? Tiny populations.

And waht does every country but one have in common? Very small area. The US has states taht are larger than 10 of the 11 countries ahed of use, COMBINED.
(populations; population densities in people per square km, pasted from <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ List_of_countries_by_population_density>)

South Korea 48M; 491
Netherlands 16M; 395
Denmark 5M; 126
Iceland 0.3M; 2
Canada 33M; 3
Switzerland 7M; 181
Belgium 10M; 339
Japan 128M; 337
Finland 5M; 15
Norway 5M; 14
Sweden 9M; 20
United States 296M; 30

So, of the 11 countries that the OECD thinks have greater broadband penetration than the USA, 6 are more densely-populated than the USA and 5 are not.

Not that this necessarily means anything, but I thought your sentiments above could do with some numbers. I don't see a strong correlation between broadband penetration and population density here.

Joe