Re: 4-Byte AS Number soon to come?

  • From: Yakov Rekhter
  • Date: Wed Aug 24 16:12:25 2005

Daniel,

> Susan,
>
> In light of Geoff Huston's recent article which urged alacrity in finalizing
> a standard and implementing the eventual solution, where are we in this
> process? Geoff's article suggest that we have about three years until
> Internet transit AS's should begin transitioning. Given the QA cycle at both
> router vendors and major carriers, this means that the timeframe is quite
> condensed, at least by IETF standards.
>
> My question, in short, is, will we make it? (the corollary is, does the
> IETF/IDR have a sense of urgency as they move this process along?)

The time it would take it to be deployed depends (among other
factors) on whether the IDR WG would reach a (rough) consensus on
moving forward with the existing spec, even if one may argue that
there could be a better alternative to the existing spec.

Yakov.

P.S. For more details you may look at the on-going discussion on the
IDR mailing list.