Re: 4-Byte AS Number soon to come?

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Tue Aug 23 06:55:11 2005

On 23-aug-2005, at 11:53, Paul Jakma wrote:

The IDR draft is awaiting implementation report.
If this is true, it's very distressing. Drafts are deleted after about six months. That means that any implementations will be based on a no longer existing specification. That's wrong in so many ways.

Is it common or uncommon to fire up 'ethereal' or 'tcpdump' to debug a BGP problem?
I think I only felt the need to do this a handful of times over the last decade, but it's generally difficult to position tcpdump such that it will intercept the eBGP traffic.

(It's easier if tcpdump is implemented on your router, of course.)