Re: Announcement Propagation Delay in BGP

  • From: Pete Templin
  • Date: Fri Aug 19 17:35:54 2005

Scott Weeks wrote:
I am going to be announcing two new prefixs into BGP soon
and the netgeek in me is very curious as to the length of
time it takes to show up in other parts of the world that're
logically far from Hawaii. Instead of going to
www.traceroute.org and refreshing repeatedly, I thought
folks here might've created a tool to do just that. Or,
perhaps, someone else has stats on a test they ran in the
past.
Non-scientific test, but I've seen new prefixes appear at the Oregon-IX route server in <20 seconds (we're only in Texas), and reach a modestly steady state in <90 seconds. I've seen adjustments (prepending, etc.) appear in 45+ seconds, and withdraws in probably the same time.

pt