Re: New N.Y. Law Targets Hidden Net LD Tolls

  • From: Andre Oppermann
  • Date: Fri Aug 19 13:30:56 2005

John Levine wrote:
Face it, 7D is dead; and even if overlays had not arrived, cell
phones would have killed it. Once you learn to think 10D, it's
trivial.
Oh, you ignorant rednecks.*  Even my cell phone has 7D dialing and
it'll be a century before overlays arrive where I live.

The reason that it makes sense for an ISP to warn its customers about
surprise toll calls is that toll rates have gotten so low that for the
most part, we don't worry about them.  Due to the peculiar
telegeography in my area, a 7D call within my area code could be
local, intra-LATA toll, or inter-LATA toll.  But the most expensive of
those is 8 cents/min so for voice calls, I don't care, and I really
Duh.  I pay less for an international trans-atlantic call for premium
voice minutes in retail (US$0.04/minute).  Wholesale I get the same
minute for less than 2 cents (US$).  A 64kbit/s transparent ISDN call
on the same path costs 3 cents (US$).  And I'm in Switzerland.  So it
seems to be cheaper for me to call you than it is for you to call someone
in the next LATA.

--
Andre