Re: New N.Y. Law Targets Hidden Net LD Tolls

  • From: David Barak
  • Date: Thu Aug 18 15:08:58 2005

--- Robert Bonomi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > A typical call to a dial-up ISP is what, a few
> hours?
> > Multiple times per month?  Accidentally using a
> > non-local ISP number can result in a bill in the
> > hundreds of dollars pretty easily (also no pizza).
>
> All true, but *WHY* is that 'accidentally dialing a
> non-local ISP number'
> the *ISP's* fault??

Who said anything about fault?  This is merely a
recognition on the part of Government that consumers
might make a costly mistake.  The Government decided
to tell ISPs to give the consumers an extra notice to
try to prevent that.

Not unreasonable at all (although personally, I like
the TX-style "all your long distance are 11D, else
10D" approach).  Simple consumer protection, similar
to the <offtopic warning!>
requirement to publish both per item and per measured
unit pricing on foodstuffs...< /offtopic>

-David

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com