Re: Blocking certain terrorism/porn sites and DNS

  • From: J. Oquendo
  • Date: Thu Aug 18 13:14:43 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> Bad assumption.  After all, terrorist is poorly defined, and from the
> perspective of a particular government.

Interesting you say this, same comes to mind concerning terrorists using
so called cryptography simply because an agent of some government found
"crypt.dll" on a machine and decided "By the love of
INSERT_YOUR_DEITY_HERE they're using crypto now!"

> Funny thing though, they don't seem to call their sites "spam-king",
> but instead "opt-in-real-big", or the equivalent.  So, we have to
> examine their binaries to find the sites.

Isn't this sort of ironic. To "not" want to "police" yet want to examine
"binaries to find sites." And how may I ask are you going to examine these
binaries via traffic. Isn't that to the tune of an illegal tap being you
would unlawfully check email in and out of your network. Or did I miss
something.

As for filtering sites from Spam/Porn/etc., on the ISP level, someone
would have to be a complete reject to do so. I know I wouldn't want
anything filtered. On a corporate level, I right now have to filter a lot
of unwanted junk and recently had to tone down my filtering. HR woman
searched for sexual harrassment and could not get information because my
rules were stringent. Filtering on an ISP/NSP level I think is a horrible
idea because I believe everyone has the right to free speech and thought.
Filtering is also likely to introduce unwanted latency.

J. Oquendo
GPG Key ID 0x97B43D89
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x97B43D89

To conquer the enemy without resorting to war is the most
desirable.  The highest form of generalship is to conquer
the enemy by strategy." - Sun Tzu