RE: New N.Y. Law Targets Hidden Net LD Tolls

  • From: Brian Johnson
  • Date: Thu Aug 18 09:05:30 2005

Pardon my ignorance, but don't most phone companies require 10 digit dialing
for long-distance. We have similar situations in the rural area I live in,
but the customers know if they dial more than 7 digits, it WILL be long
distance.

> Of course, this is true for *every* call in such an area --
> if the new law
> is actually singling out ISPs (and ISPs -only-), I expect it could be
> successfully challenged as 'discriminatory'.

Agreed. It's silly to single out ISPs on this one.

> The excessive 'local toll charge' situation is most visible
> on calls to ISPs,
> because those calls tend to be somewhat lengthy -- and
> frequent -- thus, the
> 'unexpected' charges can reach significant dollar value
> before the phone
> customer gets their first bill.

Agreed, but is this really the ISPs fault, or is it the customer's fault.

> Life gets _really_ messy, when the ISP gets phone service
> from a CLEC,
> because there is "no telling" _where_ the ILEC uses as the
> 'rate point'
> for handing the calls off to that CLEC.  And the CLEC bills
> their customers
> based on distance from the caller's location to that hand-off
> point.  The
> ISP equipment may be across the street from the caller, but
> the ILEC-CLEC
> hand-off is on the far edge of the area-code.  and the 'local
> toll charges'
> are applied.
>
> The CLEC can't tell you (and thus, neither can the ISP) which
> prefixes are a
> 'non-toll' call to their numbeers.  And trying to get an
> authoritative answer
> from the ILEC about what charges are to the CLEC's prefix can
> be _very_
> difficult.

I have never come across this, but it may be more of a metro area thing. :-)

I think in the end this is a typical government attempt to solve a
non-problem. They can easily do public service announcements to inform their
constituents, or ask the phone companies to deal with it as it really is a
problem for them. It is a charge on the hone bill, right. :-)

- Brian J.