Re: Blocking certain terrorism/porn sites and DNS

  • From: Simon Waters
  • Date: Thu Aug 18 05:38:43 2005

On Thursday 18 Aug 2005 9:20 am, Abhishek Verma wrote:

> My question is why cant we ban websites like, say, alqaida.com
> (hypothetical name), etc. from the whois database.

If we, is the US department of commerce, the answer is probably yes.

The only operational significance, is that there is no way easy way of
estimating in advance the effect of removing valid DNS information from the
system, unless you are the administrator of the system concerned (and even
then mistakes happen - not when I do it of course<cough>).

i.e. It may be that a nameserver called "ns1.example.com" supports domains in
a completely different TLD, like "example.co.uk", which belongs to an
important organisation or service.

That said spammers routinely have domains, and nameservers, removed with very
little if any damage to legitimate Internet users.

The real question is should we, words don't kill people, people kill people.