Re: New N.Y. Law Targets Hidden Net LD Tolls

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Thu Aug 18 04:39:34 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 04:19:25AM -0400, Eric A. Hall wrote:

> On 8/18/2005 3:54 AM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure which part of "this seems to have nothing to do with toll
> > scams" wasn't clear the first time around, but this response still seems
> > to have no basis given the facts...
>
> Is the NY AG authorized to regulate other-than "illegal" activity?

Well for starters, yes.

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/tour/tour.html

Note the Criminal Division and Division of Public Advocacy.

Another interesting link:

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/internet/internet.html

But even ignoring that part for now, the only reference to the AG in the
article cited is that they secured an agreement with 25 large providers in
2001 to include a notice/disclaimer to consumers. Why am I the only person
who is capable of reading the article in question before commenting on
NANOG? :)