Re: Fixing .com DNS glue records - who to contact?

  • From: Matthew Elvey
  • Date: Tue Aug 16 19:10:14 2005

//Hi, William!

william(at)elan.net wrote on Aug 16 :
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Matthew Elvey wrote:

A glue record for a .com domain (nextbus.com) is wrong, and I'm
running into a brick wall trying to get it fixed.
Do I need to switch to a more clueful registrar than GoDaddy**?
Contact Network Solutions?
Have I screwed up the domain's bind config? Everything looks right
when I _dig_ around the authoritative NS*..
I futzed with the record (deleted and re-added ns.nextbus.com as
an authoritative NS (nameserver(s))), and the glue became correct
for several days (dnsreport.com even reported all was well) AND
THEN WENT BACK TO BEING BROKEN AGAIN.

<digs showing correct results from my server and the wrong results from a gTLD server snipped>
Yup, just as I kept saying to GoDaddy: The glue in the parent servers is wrong.
So the answer is that you need to make sure your own dns server "A"
record for "ns.nextbus.com" matches glue record entered with registrar.
Right, but the registrar wasn't being cooperative. I've changed glue records with other registrars before (self-service - just fill in the IP next to the name). I even remember emailing changes to NSI, back when that was the procedure), but changing one with GoDaddy has proven, erm, difficult.
As far as what is going to be used by global dns, it would be glue
record that you set with registrar (ok - its supposed to, but its
not always true depending how caching dns server is written).

BTW - when doing check make certain to use "+norecurse"
Ok... I'd be surprised if a gTLD server did a recursive query if asked.

I have tested your site and everything is resolving
properly. This error message you are getting is not on our
end.

If the record you wanted for glue is 64.142.39.200 and godaddy did not
fix it, then I suggest you find more cluefull registrar support person.
Ok, third time is a charm, I hope. You'd think even the level 1 folks would be trained to use dnsreport.com or something like it. (Boy, thanks to the folks providing it!) Note that I did specifically ask: "Please have this issue reviewed by someone technical - someone who knows what DNS glue is" and even included links to a definition, dnsreport.com,...

Thank you for contacting customer support. I have looked into this
situation and found that the domain name in question is not hosted
with us. This being the case you may wish to speak with your
hosting provider regarding the "glue" situation.

The above is a red flag that the godaddy's "customer service representative"
has no idea what "glue" means. Escalate to the real tech support.
Yup. I did get a good laugh out of the comment.
=======
Boy, the results, which Jim posted, of "host 64.164.28.194" sure are odd, though I get the same thing. (That IP is in space no longer ours.)
194.192.28.164.64.in-addr.arpa??? That's got 5 octets, not 4. Not that I care what SBC does with rDNS for our old IP space...

But in general, I believe there's no need for a NS to have valid reverse DNS. (But it's still a good idea, and is usually needed for mail servers...)
There's nothing keeping someone from setting up reverse DNS for any IP delegated to them to be, say www.whitehouse.gov...