Re: zotob - blocking tcp/445

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Mon Aug 15 17:30:47 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, [email protected] wrote:

> NetBIOS was never meant to be a WAN protocol, so no problem
> in blocking it.

rule #1: do not be the Internet's Firewall
rule #2: see rule #1

a leaf network can make any decisions they want on traffic filtering,
large ISP's should probably not do this as there are invariably people out
there that will want SNMP/ICMP/NetBIOS/SQL-NameService to work over their
WAN link(S).  I recall some 'fun' with this issue on:

1) slammer worm (ms has a developers thingy that REQUIRES 1434 to work
over the internet)
2) welchia/nachi - how can I ping monitor my remote sites?

ymmv.