Re: botnet reporting by AS - what about you?

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Fri Aug 12 16:13:40 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 08:41:52PM +0200, Gadi Evron wrote:

> Hello. The drone armies research and mitigation mailing list is moving
> its reporting mechanism to the next level.
>
> If you have updated contact information for any of the below AS owners,
> please contact me _off-list_.
>
> Thanks,
>
> 	Gadi.

Do you mean to tell me you can't find contact info for ANY of those ISPs
on your own (like those ALTERNET guys, they're hard to track down)? Are
you trying to start a service for notifing ISPs when they have drones
behind them or something? Surely you don't expect to obtain a
comprehensive list by posting a list of AS names and half chopped off
descriptions to NANOG, without even including the AS numbers?

I'd personally love more reporting services that will actually disclose
information to the ISPs who can actually take action to help straighten
out their customers. We have far too many people who sit around wringing
their hands about how horrible the botnets are, but who won't tell anyone
who can do anything about it out of a paranoid sense of "security". I'm
not sure this is the best way to go about that though. :)