Re: IPv6 Address Planning

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Wed Aug 10 10:05:10 2005

On 10-aug-2005, at 15:06, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

Well, if you want to be really environmentally conscious, do away
with that /126 too and just use link-locals, with a single global
address per router for management and the generation of ICMPs.

and you ping the customer links how? (or did I miss the point of the
link-locals?)
You don't. I don't think the point of link-locals has much to do with pinging customers... But since IPv6 routing protocols work over link- locals you don't need global addresses.

If you want to ping your customers you should probably use a /126 so they can only use the specific address you give them. You need that anyway if you want to route a /48 or what have you to them.

BTW, there is discussion about rethinking /48s for customers in IPv6. Thoughts?