RE: Of Fiber Cuts and RBOC Mega-mergers

  • From: Sam Crooks
  • Date: Tue Aug 09 10:07:31 2005

When is that book of yours coming out?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
[email protected]
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 1:34 PM
To: Gordon Cook
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Of Fiber Cuts and RBOC Mega-mergers

The unfortunate part of all this is there is a demand for diversity,
especially from the financial and government sectors.  One of the big
problems is that clients seldom know which providers or combinaiton of
providers give them the most diversity.  There are some intersting ways to
claculate the optimal set of providers by price and diversity, but getting
the data is quite difficult.  Sometime large clients like the US government
can leverage providers into divulging routing and right of ways, but is
definately the exception.  Even from our rough analyses there are several
areas of heavily shared colocation.  Sounds like the problem is getting
worse and not better.