Re: power strip with individually monitorable outlet current

  • From: Christopher McCrory
  • Date: Sun Aug 07 20:50:20 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 14:47 -0400, Justin Kreger wrote:
> At the now defunct redundant.com we used baytech strips with the ds-3
> (not the circuit) modules to snmp enable the strips.  We were able to
> control each port, and monitor load on each port.
>
> http://www.baytech.net/
>
> I think we used the RPC22s and the DS-3 console server combo.  It was a
> few years ago so my memory of what we did is a bit fuzzy.  Regarding how
> accurate the modules are, the baytech gear would only be accurate to the
> tenths if my memory serves me, but they may have improved that since mid
> '03.

A while ago I found that I needed power usage stats also (these new P4
Zeons suck up a lot of power :).  I got some baytech PDUs with LEDs and
console access (forget which specific model).  Looked very cool.  Except
that I am in Los Angeles county.  LA takes a dim view of selling
equipment that is not UL certified.  Apparently it is illegal to both
sell and operate :(  After several months of "We should have it soon", I
bought APC units.

The APCs (AP7901) are very nice. snmp and ftpable stats.  They even do
ssh!

No individual per ports stats, and only to 1/10th amp.  But no more
popped circuit breakers from new servers.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP7901

--
Christopher McCrory
 "The^W One of the guys that keeps the servers running"

[email protected]
 http://www.pricegrabber.com