Re: FCC Issues Rule Allowing FBI to Dictate Wiretap-Friendly Design for In ternet Services

  • From: Fergie (Paul Ferguson)
  • Date: Sat Aug 06 22:35:32 2005

I realize that CALEA is primarily geared towards traditional
wiretapping (esp. pen register), but given the machinations
of other organaizations (which have also mobilzed law
enforcement) such as the MPAA and the RIAA, one might also
surmise that this also seems to be desired for not just VoIP
services....

- ferg

-- sjk <[email protected]> wrote:

We all pay the bill with higher equipment costs, the maintenance of
configurations, and possible storage costs. CALEA was bound to include
VoIP services - given the definition telecom carrier in the act; however,
as I recall -- and I may be wrong -- when CALEA was first passed the
carriers were given tax breaks and subsidies to implement changes. Is
such financial help being offered today?

--sjk

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 [email protected] or [email protected]