Re: Why some of us are IPv6 holdouts (Was: /8 end user assignment?)

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Sat Aug 06 14:57:34 2005

a good email over all explaining more parts of the pie :) sweet!

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Michael Loftis wrote:

> --On August 5, 2005 11:13:13 AM +0200 Iljitsch van Beijnum
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> There's a huge knock-on-effect on all manner of things that you might not
> expect to need to think about IPv6 offhand.  Like log processors.  I don't
> know about you but I don't have humans or chimps reading my logs for
> suspicious activity and producing summary reports of traffic, I've got
> automated processes.  I'm not willing to wager that every one of those
> programs is ready yet.

ok, good... now in 5 years when there are 'many more' v6 users are you
still in this boat? should some of this work get started also? Would that
be facilitated by getting some actual logs?

> Maybe I'm more concerned about what (potentially bad) things happen on my
> networks.  Maybe not.  Either way, that issue alone means a LOT of other
> software than the web server, load balancer, and routers need to understand
> (or speak) IPv6.  There's a huge ecosystem of software here.  A lot of it
> hasn't been written in such a way that it takes into account any other
> addressing/networking scheme than IPv4.

agreed, but that problem doesn't seem to be getting addressed any better
than the lb/router/web-server problem doe sit?