Re: /8 end user assignment?

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Sat Aug 06 08:17:08 2005

On 5-aug-2005, at 15:55, Joe Abley wrote:

It is of course possible to construct networks through which TCP behaves very poorly with anycasted services. This does not mean that TCP is fundamentally incompatible with anycast.
It does mean that if people want to anycast services that run over TCP (even just a small part of the time, such as DNS) they should make sure this works well.

A good start is using different AS numbers for the anycast instances so (Cisco) routers won't load balance over the different paths.

But all of this is irrelevant to the discussion at hand, unless I missed something big and DNS over TCP has now been deprecated. If that's the case, the appropriate action is to disable TCP queries in the software, not to avoid TCP queries by keeping response sizes small.

But my original point was that you won't go over the non-EDNS0 limit for normal queries with less than a dozen AAAA records anyway.