Re: RFC for Mask/Gateway

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Fri Aug 05 15:50:58 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 03:09:53PM -0400, [email protected] wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 13:55:58 CDT, Scott Altman said:
> > Is there an RFC or other standard that specifies that IPv4 connected
> > devices must support the concepts of Subnet Mask and Default Gateway?
>
> No, because there's plenty of applications (embedded systems, for example),
> where you have no need or desire to be able to talk to things off-local-net.

Which doesn't really excuse you from subnet mask, I wouldn't think.

You clearly don't need a default gateway if you're not going to reply
to off-net packets, but how would you idenfity broadcast packets if you
didn't know the netmask?

> > I have a kludgy (<- technical term) vendor that has developed a custom
> > AP that only has an IP address.
>
> Be afraid. Be very afraid.  Any vendor in *this* year who makes gear that
> is supposed to connect edge devices to the rest of the net but doesn't
> get the ideas of subnet masks and default gateways should be feared.

Indeed, run far, far away.

And yes, Scott: RFC 791.  It's not just a good idea...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]

	"NPR has a lot in common with Nascar... we both turn to the left."
		- Peter Sagal, on Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!