Re: /8 end user assignment?

  • From: Simon Lyall
  • Date: Thu Aug 04 21:53:14 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Steve Feldman wrote:
> > - Most of our content is delivered via load balancer hardware
> >   that would also need to support IPv6.  Last time I checked,
> >   it didn't.
> will the v6 access really be enough to require LB's? or are they there for
> other reasons (global lb for content close to customers, regionalized
> content) perhaps reasons which would matter 'less' in an initial v6 world
> where you were getting the lb's fixed by their vendor? (or finding a
> vendor that supports v6 lb?)

If you have a large web site (say top 2000) or mail system ( or other
apps) then you will almost certainly have your connections going via a
load balancer.  You have specialized servers for front end, images,
database, data, caching, authentication etc. You'll probably have multiple
examples of each, load balanced so that if one goes down nobody notices.
Here is a simple example:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wikimedia-servers-2005-04-12.png

Creating a seperate instance or path though all that for IPv6 is probably
going to be hard if it is all setup for everything to go one way.

On the other hand if your load balancer is IPv6 aware then the stuff
behind it might not need to be since it can NAT incoming request to ipv4.

--
Simon J. Lyall.  |   Very  Busy   |   Mail: [email protected]
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.