Re: /8 end user assignment?

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Thu Aug 04 18:10:33 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

> Hi David,
>  I realise that but:
>
> 1. Softbank BB is not on my radar of likely /8 candidates (of course, geography
> may be the reason for that)

perhaps, remember that japan has +100m 'users' on them islands, eh?

"we are planning a dsl network rollout to the home island of japan,
expected subscriber base is 15M users conservatively"

now I get a /8. simple, see? :)

> 2. We know cable companies, dsl providers and mobile companies can use this many
> IPs, but they generally seem to make use of NAT and IPv6. If everyone in this
> category who could justify a /8 applied and received them we might be in real
> trouble with our IPv4 space.

Actually, I think it'd be GOOD if the v4 space got very scarce very
fast... it'd make people stop putzing around with v6 amd mae it production
for real. (perhaps even someone would think about how to multihome in v6?
in a workable manner)

> I had said elsewhere this was unprecedented but was then pointed at 73.0.0.0/9,
> 73.128.0.0/10 which is Comcast assigned in April. I'm surprised none of these
> assignemtns have shown up on mailing lists..

So, makes you wonder:
1) comcast doesn't care about subscribers getting 'partial' connectivity
due to acls/bogon-filters/blah
2) comcast fights this battle silently, with battle hardened network
ninjas, silent killers of bogon filtering
3) the mythical bogon filtering 'problem' isn't really a problem?

(sort of poking fun, mostly being serious...)

-Chris