Re: /8 end user assignment?

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Thu Aug 04 14:56:12 2005
On 4 Aug 2005, at 14:35, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

2. We know cable companies, dsl providers and mobile companies can use this many
IPs, but they generally seem to make use of NAT and IPv6. If everyone in this
category who could justify a /8 applied and received them we might be in real
trouble with our IPv4 space.
I know nothing much about Softbank BB, but I do know that there is nothing in the APNIC policy which says organisations need to use NAT or RFC1918 addresses or both in their networks. It is perfectly consistent with the current APNIC policies for every network interface to have a globally-unique address.

I would expect every ISP who is able to demonstrate a justifiable need for a /8 allocation be getting one. I'm not sure why you think there are ISPs who can justify a /8 that are not asking for them.

I also don't know about "generally" in your first sentence above; personally I have never had DSL or GPRS service from anybody who wouldn't give me a globally-unique address and I've never seen a DSL or GPRS service which would give me any kind of IPv6 address.

Are things different in the RIPE region?

Joe

(slightly queasy, imagining the backscatter and worm probe love you'd suddenly attract when you advertised your yet-to-be-used /8 for the first time)