Re: /8 end user assignment?

  • From: Justin M. Streiner
  • Date: Thu Aug 04 14:53:36 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

I had said elsewhere this was unprecedented but was then pointed at 73.0.0.0/9,
73.128.0.0/10 which is Comcast assigned in April. I'm surprised none of these
assignemtns have shown up on mailing lists..
I suspect this was done on the condition that Comcast migrate users from other IP ranges into 73/8.5, then return those older ranges to ARIN for reassignment. The net effect would be that Comcast could significantly reduce the number of routes they'd have to announce into the global BGP table. 12+ million addresses is a lot of cable modems :-)

I don't work for Comcast, so this is purely conjecture on my part.

jms