Re: Traffic to our customer's address(126.0.0.0/8) seems blockedby packet filter

  • From: Philip Smith
  • Date: Wed Aug 03 23:38:20 2005

[email protected] said the following on 4/8/05 12:03:

> We aren't going to consolidate to a single /8 announcement.
> We are going to continue to announce each individual /16 for incoming traffic engineering.

FWIW, if you don't announce your aggregate, do not be surprised if you
experience continued disconnectivity to many parts of the Internet. Some
SPs notice that SoftbankBB have received 126/8, so will likely filter as
such. Leaking sub-prefixes may be fine for traffic engineering, but this
generally only works best if you include a covering aggregate.

Try including your /8 announcement and see if this improves reachability
for you.

Out of curiosity, why pick on a /16 for traffic engineering? Most people
tend to analyse traffic flows and pick the appropriate address space
size as a subdivision. Or do you have 256 links to upstream ISPs and
need that level of fine-tuning?

best wishes,

philip