Re: Traffic to our customer's address(126.0.0.0/8) seems blocked bypacket filter

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Wed Aug 03 20:15:26 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

On 03/08/05, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
Softbank BB (AS17676) was allocated 126/8 from APNIC, and Softbank
BB (AS17676) immediately tried to use 126/8.
Jon, could you tell Kawano san just how many sites are still blocking 69/8? :)
Number of IP's currently known to have 69/8 filter issues: 299
Number of /24 networks's currently known to have 69/8 filter issues: 261

And it's probably actually not that bad anymore. It seems a bunch of the IPs that were reachable from our old ARIN space but not 69/8 aren't reachable at all anymore. Back in late 2002 and early 2003 (when we got ours), 69/8 was much worse.

Looking through the archives, it seems that first number was initially about 1000 when we got our 69 space, and when I announced http://69box.atlantic.net/ we had:

Number of IP's currently known to have 69/8 filter issues: 683
Number of /24 networks's currently known to have 69/8 filter issues: 511

So the half life of outdated bogon filters appears to be about 2.5 years, but if you really bug people like I did initially, you can make much better progress. I basically picked the largest, most important looking networks and contacted them manually via email and phone.

Jon Lewis | I route
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
Atlantic Net | _________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key_________