Re: OT: Cisco.com password reset.

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Wed Aug 03 11:38:52 2005

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 04:07:55PM +0200, Elmar K. Bins wrote:

> [email protected] (Scott Stursa) wrote:
>
> > > When I tried to access my CCO account this morning I got a page with
> > > instructions to email [email protected] to get a new password. I did
> > > this from the email address registered to me on CCO and promptly received
> > > a new password to my email address which worked properly after that.
> >
> > Yeah, I tried that. Didn't work in my case.
>
> Neither did it in mine (multiple accounts hooked on one email address
> is what cco-locksmith complained about). I have sent the appropriate
> email to cco-team, but heaven knows when they will process it.
>
> I give them a day before escalating; I'm pretty sure they're currently
> pushing staff into the cco-team so the requests can be served.
>
> What bothers me is that some people got notifications while others got
> none - any idea on why (I didn't get any)?

	I've talked to "People" at cisco before about email handling
stuff, it takes them a lot of effort to make lists such as
'cust-security-announce' deliver quickly.  I've had some experience
tweaking large lists as well, it takes a significant amount
of effort to deliver to 2k users quickly.  Cisco has a lot more than
that registered, and I suspect the delivery is a bit more complicated
with all the dns/resolver load going after all the possible customer
domains they have.

	To give you a rough idea (cisco-nsp for example is a list I host
and is delivered fairly quickly by most peoples standards..)
smtp to cisco-nsp for 2655 recips, completed in 341.639 seconds

	Now imagine if instead of 2655 users it was 1-1.5million,
that puts it at 53 hours in my rough guestimate.  (assuming i know
what i'm talking about, and the higher number of 1.5m).

	It took a fair amount of tweaking to get this down
to something reasonable, including some customization to shift some
of the heavy lifting.

	I'd expect Cisco to fix most of the accounts in the first
48 hours is my real guess, then the time will come down to 24.  Probally
due to the sheer volume of cases.

	Hopefully you already have your software you need for now...

	- jared