Re: Your router/switch may be less secure than you think

  • From: Robert Bonomi
  • Date: Wed Aug 03 11:20:01 2005

> From [email protected]  Wed Aug  3 09:07:20 2005
> To: [email protected]
> Cc: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: Your router/switch may be less secure than you think
> From: "Robert E.Seastrom" <[email protected]>
> Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 09:58:53 -0400
>

> [email protected] writes:
>
> > We should all be looking to the security auditing work done by
> > the OpenBSD team for an example of how systems can be
> > cleaned up, fixed, and locked down if there is a will to do so.
>
> Beer, unsupported assertions, and lack of rigorous audit methodology
> can be blended together to make one's code more secure?

That would seem to depend on the quality of the code _before_ the blending, no?
As well as getting the proportions in the blend "just right".

*grin*

Seriously, _any_ approach "can" result in better/more secure code.  It all
depends on exactly _what_ is done.  Some approaches for identifying and/or
eliminating "problems" are more efficient and/or more effective than are
alternative means.  This does -not- mean that those are the "only" ways to
get things done.

Now, the _liklihood_ that any given approach "willresult in better/more secure
code -- *that* is an entirely different question.  :)