VOIP provider

  • From: Shane Owens
  • Date: Tue Aug 02 07:50:41 2005

 Not really an operational question, but an engineering question non-the-less.  This may also not be the most suitable
forum, but there is a large brain trust here that can probably answer my questions.

We are looking at a business plan to launch a large VOIP carrier globally.  My questions are:

1: Does it make sense to scatter nodes around the globe to limit latency on intraregional calls? If so how many? We were
thinking about 7 placed at strategic points around the globe.

2: Is a softswitch architecture preferred to a proxy server/Media Gateway (Vonage) only type architecture?

3: What protocols should be used for firmware upgrades to ATA devices? We are thinking HTTPS or SFTP, or HTTP if those
aren't available on selected devices.  I am trying to stay away from TFTP for security reasons.

4: Anyone have any vendor recommendations? We currently use Metaswitch for our Softswitch, but I'm not sure it would be
the best choice for a large scale deployment although I am going to research it.

5: Should I work with large wholesalers (L3, GX, etc) or try to penetrate markets in some other way?

6: Are there any wholesalers (DID Origination) outside of the US that anyone knows of?

Sorry to have so many questions.  Many of these I already have ideas on the answers however I acknowledge there are far
smarter people than myself in the world.  So I figure it's a good idea to ask and get opinions from others before I make
a final decision.

Shane
Shaneowens<at>dna-communications.com