Re: Tiscali switches to Public-Root?? What do you think?

  • From: Bjørn Mork
  • Date: Mon Aug 01 03:38:15 2005

[email protected] writes:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:45:29 CDT, "John Palmer (NANOG Acct)" said:
>> "... As a result of this agreement, Tiscali will offer to its subscribers
>> across Europe the access to the entire World Wide Web, including the new
>> alternative domain names.
>
> I can see it now...
>
> "Hello, Tiscali User Support"
>
> "I found this really cool website, and I mailed the address to 15 of my buds,
> and they're all saying it doesn't exist and I need to quit smoking crack"
>
> "What's the website?"
>
> "www.really-cool.alt.  Now quit playing mind games with me and make it work for them."

I fear that Tiscali won't be the ones facing the problems.  Instead
we'll have

"Hello, Telenor User Support"

"My friend sent me a link to this really cool website, but your
stupid system tells me it doesn't exist"

"What's the website?"

"www.really-cool.alt.  Now fix your systems so I can access it"

The poor guy/gal at the other end of the line will need a really good
answer.  Does anyone here have one?

Not to mention the answers we need for the market droids...

"Hey, I heard that Tiscali is offering more Internet than us at no
extra cost, and they make a lot of money on it too.  How soon can we
start doing the same?"

This puts a lot of pressure on other European ISPs, and eventually
also North American ISPs (to make this on-topic :-) I hope the rest of
us can stand together against it.  A good start would be to come up
with a common response to the two pressure groups outlined above.

Bjørn