Re: NETGEAR in the core...

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Sun Jul 31 12:50:42 2005

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 05:07:41AM -0700, Sam Crooks wrote:
> SCO Unix runs on cyberguards older than 6.0 (aka Classic)
> Linux 2.6 kernel runs on the 6.0 (aka TSP)   as for SG line... I don't
> know...

The Cyberguard line was bought from Snapgear, who in turn bought it
from Ozzies Moreton Bay.  They have always run Linux, and they do it
very well.

While their user interface has improved over the years, there are still
some things I'd like it to have that it doesn't, and it's not as pretty
as, say, Netgear'.

But from an operational perspective, I've got a couple dozen of these
out as edge routers for client sites behind DSL and RoadRunner, and
they Just Work.  Easy install and config, gets the job done, never been
attacked successfully from outside (so far as I know :-), and I have to
reboot one roughly once a year, if that.

Nice boxes, not too pricey.

I'd shortlist them.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me