Re: Provider-based DDoS Protection Services

  • From: James Feger
  • Date: Thu Jul 28 22:43:20 2005

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

John,

Contrary to popular belief, I (not alone, of course) run,
manage, defend, and continually architect very large
networks. Very large.  On none of them do we outsource
the protection of them -- because, in cases where we
have extended trust in the past, we have been screwed
(PC translation: disappointed).

So we protect ourselves.

It's been a business decision for my customers' networks
(ie. their network) not to outsource security, or rely on
an upstreampipedream, for protection of any sort.

Thus, I personally can't provide any insight here. Sorry.

- ferg

Ferg,
Not everyone is in a position to have anetwork large enough to be "self-defending". I think he has clearly stated they are not in a position from a capacity standpoint to self-defend. If he has a few sites with some T1's or DS3's or whatever, his goal is to not stop the traffic at his router, but not ever allow the traffic onto his pipe.

I too have been involved in large, very large, networks and we used to see it happen everyday. Customers with OC12's getting smoked off the planet because of some kiddie made someone else mad in IRC. If the upstream offers a "value add" service such as DoS protection, why balk at it?

-j