U.N. Not Seeking to Govern Net

  • From: Fergie (Paul Ferguson)
  • Date: Thu Jul 28 20:17:19 2005

...and I've reached my post limit for the day.

Via Red Herring.

[snip]

The United Nations’ recent examination of Internet governance does not portend a wholesale shift of control to the international body, the chief of the working group parsing the issue said Thursday.

"Our mandate was not a proposal for sweeping regime change," said Markus Kummer, executive coordinator of the U.N. Working Group on Internet Governance (WGIG). The group released a report July 14 that called for more international oversight in the operation of the domain-name system (DNS) for Internet addresses. Mr. Kummer made his remarks at a meeting sponsored by the Internet Governance Project at Syracuse University.

[snip]

http://www.redherring.com/article.aspx?a=12961

- ferg

--