Re: Overhaul of U.S. telecom law to be introduced

  • From: Todd Vierling
  • Date: Wed Jul 27 11:26:41 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> > "The bill will improve consumers' access to communication technology by rewriting
> > outdated telecommunications laws," Ensign's office said in a statement. "One of the
> > bill's goals is to reduce government obstacles to technological innovation and expansion."
> >
> > The proposed legislation would replace the Telecommunications Act of 1996.
>
> OK, which of the large telco / broadband outfits are lobbying for this one?

Based on who's introducing it, and past history -- CAN-SPAM, for one -- I'd
put a suspicious bet on the large fiber-monopoly telcos pushing this to
eradicate unbundled service requirements, so that they can push out
resellers and remarketers through a "competitive" market.  (We'll see for
sure when the text is released, of course.  ;)

Another page from the man himself about it:

http://ensign.senate.gov/issleg/issues/record.cfm?id=240526

--
-- Todd Vierling <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]>