Re: open source tools help (contract) in DC area?

  • From: Brad Knowles
  • Date: Tue Jul 26 10:50:49 2005

At 8:41 PM -0400 2005-07-25, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

	I'm not convinced that this is an appropriate on-topic posting for
 NANOG.  It seems to me that you would be much better off going
 through SANS or SAGE to find local groups in the area that could be
 helpful to you.
 Actually, the interest is in open-source ISP tools.
Syslog is a standard *nix administration tool, useful for system administrators but also used by network administrators and anyone else doing any kind of administration on a *nix box. RRD, MRTG, and Ethereal are standard *nix network and system administration tools. Flowscan and Flowtools are standard *nix network administration tools. I see nothing here that is unique to the ISP environment.

Moreover, in the role of system administrator (not network administrator), I have personally used all but one of these toolsets -- flowscan/flowtools. As a system administrator, I've written syslog processing tools or hacked on syslog processing tools originally developed by others, and in some cases I've even taken over maintenance of those tools.

I see nothing here that is unique to the ISP environment.