Re: Transit politics (Telus blocking sites it does not like)

  • From: Peter Dambier
  • Date: Mon Jul 25 17:05:30 2005

Title should have been:

Telus blocking some 50 sites they dont like:

voices-for-change.com.  86400   IN      A       204.14.106.29

29.106.14.204.in-addr.arpa. 2061 IN     PTR     win5.myhsphere.biz.

That is a shared server running windows:

So this story is not about children playing in a sandbox:

Canadian telephone company and ISP "Telus"
and the employee's union

but it is about real companies and their customers. This does
cost money. Who is willing to pay for it?

These two companies dont like them and their customers to be
cut off, nor would I.

http://www.jodohost.com/
http://www.myhsphere.biz./

Telus has shown enough incompetence for me not to choose
them if I ever come close to them.

Regards,
Peter Dambier

Mike Tancsa wrote:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/2005/07/24/1145417-sun.html

As the slashdot headline quotes,

Canadian telephone company and ISP "Telus" has admitted that they are <http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/2005/07/24/1145417-sun.html>blocking all attempts to access a website set up by the employee's union (who is currently "on-strike" or "locked-out", depending on your point of view). Currently no customers of the Telco's ADSL service (or any other ADSL service provider who leases lines) can access the <http://www.voices-for-change.com/>union's webpage. Is it reasonable for an ISP to censor webpages they don't agree with during contract negotiations?"

As Telus is one of my transit providers, they are still advertising the path to me, but are blackholing the /32s in question. Kind of sets a bad precedent for a common carrier argument :( I like BGP blackholing to protect internet infrastructure, but what exactly is this protecting ?

---Mike

Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications, [email protected]
Providing Internet since 1994 www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada www.sentex.net/mike

--
Peter and Karin Dambier