Re: Transit politics (Telus blocking sites it does not like)

  • From: Mike Tancsa
  • Date: Mon Jul 25 10:25:06 2005

At 10:05 AM 25/07/2005, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

ISPs are not common carriers.  Look at your contract, I think you
will find they are allowed to filter specific things if they feel
necessary for a wide variety of reasons.
Infrastructure reasons yes. This is not an infrastructure issue. As to whether or not an ISP is or is not a common carrier is still up for debate especially here in Canada.

(I have not read the Telus
contract, but such language is pretty standard.)

Put another way: If the /32 in question was a spam source, would you
feel the same?

Yes. I dont want them deciding that for me at the network layer. Besides, SPAM is more on the fence as to whether or not its an infrastructure issue. A spambot/zombie, yes thats infrastructure. If they want to drop the advertisement, thats fine. If they want to put in their contract that they will filter content they do not like politically, OK, I will vote with my feet. If the material on those websites are illegal, there are established laws for dealing with it.

---Mike