Re: GSM gateways in the US?!?

  • From: Robert M. Enger
  • Date: Sun Jul 24 22:45:42 2005

I've seen cellular service agreements that discuss "all more almost all usage originating from a single cell site".
Apparently, they discourage using fixed-location cell adapters to jack-in to the cellular network.

I suppose one could use directional antennas on the roof, and target two or more of the cellular provider's
cell cites, alternating calls amongst the sites.  You couldn't just use PBX routing though.  You'd have to
distribute the calls from each fixed-location adapter across multiple cell-sites, so an antenna switcher would be needed.
(If you're real close to a cell site, you probably can't get an antenna sufficiently directional to ensure that you use a distant tower...)

Seems like a lot of work.  If you have enough mobiles to make this worthwhile, I'm surprised that the carrier
won't cut you a deal to encourage you to stay with them (rather than shopping other carriers for better deal/discounts).
If your account really matters, maybe they'll let you set up some VoIP trunking into their MTSO.  That would be low cost.