Re: GSM gateways in the US?!?

  • From: jkreger
  • Date: Sun Jul 24 20:06:10 2005

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, Jon Lewis wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, John Levine wrote:

... not inside the [same provider's] mobile network, cell phone to
cell phone. See T-Mobile's "Unlimited Mobile-to-Mobile" component of
their services, as an example. This (unlimited, for a flat, usually
minuscule, fee) is what I am hoping to achieve with a gateway (making
the PBX behind it look like any other mobile phone).
I don't understand where you're planning to save money here.  Calls
into a mobile network are free for the caller under any circumstances.
I've recently been thinking about the same thing, so I think I get it.

Suppose you have a staff of people with CarrierX cell phones, and CX offers free calling within their network. So all your staff can call each other's CX cell phones from their own CX cell phones at no cost above the regular flat monthly fee. Now, suppose your office regularly needs to call those cell phones. Sure, calling from your LEC lines doesn't cost you anything, but it burns up the callee's limited cell<->pstn minutes. If you could somehow interface your PBX to the CX network and place calls into the CX network without burning up callee minutes, that could potentially save you considerable money. Assuming CX won't allow you to actually interconnect with them in the "normal" way phone networks interconnect, you could perhaps do so by interfacing CX cell phones (or something that would look like them to CX) to your PBX.

If, nonetheless, you want to experiment with this kind of hack, look
for devices with names like cellsocket and dock-n-talk that take a
cell phone and provide a landline interface that you should be able
to connect to a PBX.
Cellsocket sounds familiar...I think I have a friend using one of those to provide a phone line to his personal asterisk server.

Jon Lewis | I route
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
Atlantic Net | _________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key_________