Re: Switch advice please

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Fri Jul 22 21:26:47 2005

[email protected] (Nicole) writes:

>  I am looking at aquiring some switches to upgrade a large web site front and
> backend switching network.
>
>  I am looking at cisco and HP switches at the moment and would like to hear
> peoples opinions on them or recommendations for any others.
>
>  Some of the switches I am looking at are 24 and 48 Port GB (copper) switches
> and 48 and 24 port 10/100 with GB feed's. (one or two feeds)

Last time I bought switchgear from a distributor other than EBay, it was a
pair of D-Link DGS-3224TGR's (http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=2&pid=269).
These took some getting used to -- the CLI is extremely ExtremeWare-like,
enough that my past familiarity with ExtremeWare does me more harm than good.

My hot-buttons for switchgear might be unusual so I'll list a few, in case
my mileage might vary too much to make me a useful example.  I want SNMPv2
and 64-bit counters, serial console and telnet CLI with a minimum of ANSI
screen-control characters, line-rate ACL's on my SNMP and telnet listeners,
and the ability to shut completely down the ssh and web listeners.  I also
care about actual switching features, but those seem nearly universal now
compared to "how much will it hurt to manage and monitor it?"
--
Paul Vixie