Re: Switch advice please - followup

  • From: Eric A. Hall
  • Date: Fri Jul 22 17:10:39 2005

On 7/22/2005 2:39 PM, Nicole wrote:

> completely forgot abt Foundry so they are my next stop!

Don't forget Extreme, my favorite of old. Their product line isn't as
broad as some others but they have pretty solid stuff in my experience.

> Oddly no one mentioned 3com. I don't know if that's good or bad.

3Com has a history of abandoning and re-entering markets (only to be
outdone by Intel), and that works against them. Their 5500 series looks
pretty nice (gigE + PoE) and has a competitive price point, but I haven't
played with any of it.

> The sad part is I hate Cisco. Well I hate IOS.

> If anyone makes a switch with this type of menuing that can actually pass
> lots of bits well and is not a consumer toy. I want to know  :)

The linksys gigE switches (like the SRW2024) have a menuing interface and
a web interface. No layer3 support but they have a pretty complete L2
feature set. Not sure how you feel about buying at that market level.