Re: You're all over thinking this

  • From: Crist Clark
  • Date: Thu Jul 21 15:09:45 2005

Austin McKinley wrote:

But a land line? If I pick up an analog phone anywhere, I expect a dial tone, and local calling. If I don't have access to emergency services after a blackout/natural disaster that knocks cell towers down (think hurricane season in Florida last year) then you'd never get me to drop my local carrier.
I think it is quite a bit to expect very high reliability even from
land lines during and immediately following a hurricane. In fact, the
odds may not be bad that your cellular service could be restored before
your land line. Funny thing about blackouts, you're IP phone is dead
if your ISP link depends on utility power. Your cell phone is OK.
Your land line is OK... as long as you don't just have cordless phones
that require a base station that only operates plugged in.

<Gratuitous-Plug=Employer>
If you really want high reliability during and after a natural disaster,
satellite phones are probably your best option. We just opened a new
gateway in Florida, partly due to demand for emergency services support
during hurricane season. (Although I'd rather not slide into the
discussion about how 911 works for us.)
</Gratuitous-Plug>

As any network engineer knows, the best engineered systems still do
fail. Your best bet for reliability is diversity.
--
Crist J. Clark                               [email protected]
Globalstar Communications                                (408) 933-4387

The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential,
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.
If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this e-mail in error, please contact [email protected]