Re: Is there a "alternative" way of doing kvm-over-IP

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Wed Jul 20 17:20:21 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Drew Weaver wrote:

	Buying the hardware boxes sounds pretty attractive, but I
wondered if any industrious open sourcers have come up with anything
that any NANOG-ers have come across that would do something similar to
what the Dell 2161DS box would do. I realize we would need a server with
some cards in it to terminate the connections and then some cards to go
in the boxes, we just need a bit more density than 16 ports.
I've been mostly successful in eliminating the need for most of our kvm ports, formerly with pc weasels, and more recently with servers supporting ipmi directly or through an addon card. the pc weasels required terminal servers the ipmi cards just require that you put the first network interface on the machine someplace you can reach.

weasel

http://www.realweasel.com/

ipmi

http://www.intel.com/design/servers/ipmi/

Tia

-Drew

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       [email protected]