RE: Vonage Selects TCS For VoIP E911 Service

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Wed Jul 20 16:44:28 2005

Forget defeat, just look at the normal margin of error...

Forget fixed-line services, location is easy to solve for that.  Let's look
at
things like a guy sitting on a mountain top with a BBQ grill antenna, and
amp,
and a WiFi card.  I could make VOIP calls from Apple's public Wireless
network
from 25 miles away on top of Loma Prietta if I wanted to.  (In fact, I did
once,
just to test it).  If someone put a wireless bridge up there, then, I could
make
the same call from downtown Monterey.  The first IP device would still be in
Cupertino.  I'd be in a different county (at least 2 counties away), in a
different LATA, and, in completely different CHP dispatch zones.  Even CDF
would expect me to be talking to a different dispatch center.

Doing this right is not only hard, but, it's also just not that desirable in
my opinion.  It's a huge invasion of privacy as far as I'm concerned.

Owen

--On July 20, 2005 3:19:41 PM -0500 Shane Owens